Secret Orchard is the beloved project of old school friends and cider enthusiasts, Joe Heley and Todd Studley.
Back in the mid noughties, Joe was working as a tree surgeon and was inspired one day whilst pruning trees in a small traditional orchard on the Somerset levels. With the sun shining through the apple trees, creating a vision of biblical proportions, Joe realised he was put on this earth to make cider. He immediately set about telling anyone who would listen how much he would love to spend every minute of his life making the finest drink on earth.
No one really took much notice, apart from Todd, who decided it may be a bloody good idea.
A couple of years later Joe was still bothering anyone who would listen with his cider preaching, when a chance meeting at a dinner party put in him contact with Tom from Nettlecombe estate, who it just so happened did have some orchards and the apples were going to waste. A couple of visits and a funding bid later, the boys set about getting set up in a barn and so began their obsession with creating the very best cider possible.
These days their knowledge and craft has improved significantly since the early days, and their approach has been cemented through our experience:
The Exmoor Range
Inspired by the wild moorland leading down to the rugged coast, our Exmoor ciders show the best of Somerset vintage cider apples, with bold flavours rooted in tradition
Exmoor Clear - 5.5%
Exmoor Clear is a dry cider of remarkable colour and character, blended from vintage quality Somerset cider apples. Silver medal winner 2016 British cider championships
• Aroma: Crisp fresh apples, lemon peel, caramelised spices
• Palette: Sharp smooth apples, autumnal spices, soft brown sugar, apple peel, honeydew
• Overall: Refreshing and clean, with vintage apple flavours. This award-winning small batch cider balances full-bodied fruit with sharp natural acidity and a lightly spiced finish.
• Food Pairing: Roast Pork, Cheddar, Chinese food, charcuterie.
Exmoor Mellow - 5.5%
Exmoor Mellow is a smooth, easy drinking cider with delicious spicy notes, blended from high quality varieties such as Harry Masters Jersey and Kingston Black. Reserve champion and Gold medal winner British Cider Championships 2017.
• Aroma: Cinnamon apples, grapefruit, honey
• Palette: Juicy apples, soft brown sugar, caramelised apples peel, warm acidity
• Overall: Smooth and confident. This multi award-winning small batch cider balances smooth summer warmth with delicate notes of honey, spice and hand selected apples varieties.
• Food Pairing: Pan fried fish, spring greens, cheese boards, seafood platters.